Newton was in a car accident in Charlotte on Tuesday.
1. Update — Dec. 10 at 12:19 p.m. ET
2. Panthers spokesman Charlie Dayton told reporters that Cam Newton has been discharged from the hospital and is “in good spirits,” following Tuesday’s car accident.
According to the accident report, obtained by USA Today, Newton was driving 35mph when another car pulled out in front of his,
Carolina’s general manager, Dave Gettleman, told the Associated Press he expects Newton to be released on Wednesday.
“I’m just thankful he was wearing a seatbelt and everyone involved is all right,” Gettleman said before boarding a plane back to Charlotte.
Gettleman said he was horrified by the photos from the accident scene and that it wasn’t until sometime later he breathed a sigh of relief.
“You spend so much time with these guys and they become part of the family,” Gettleman said.
4. The Charlotte Observer reported that Cam Newton was involved in a car accident and has been taken to the hospital.
5. Panthers beat reporter Jonathan Jones reported that Newton was taken from the scene on a stretcher.
Cam Newton’s car overturned just above I 277
— jjones9 (@Jonathan Jones)
6. The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Fire Department told Sporting News‘ Kami Mattioli the details of the accident.
CMFD says one passenger in each vehicle. Witness says other car pulled out in front of Cam. Says Cam’s truck car “flipped at least 3 times.”
— kmattio (@Kami Mattioli)
7. Newton was conscious and responsive after the accident.
Cam Newton is conscious and smiling after crash in uptown Charlotte.
— theobserver (@Charlotte Observer)